A fun idea & recovery!!!

Yesterday was day #2 of running without headphones. It was 18 miles too so that gave me plenty of time to think. Thinking led to this great idea that I need some help with! I have a feeling this is what will happen when I run without headphones….I will come up with all kinds of ideas!

In case you did not already know, I homeschool my two daughters. Alyssa is 11 and Courtney is 9.

DSC_0040This is what we call our school room. Yes, as you can tell by the bottom right corner of the picture, it also doubles as an exercise room (I need to be using that ab ball more!!!!).

We are currently working on learning about all the states and state capitals. As I was running, I got to thinking about how fun it has been to meet other runners from all over the US through blogs. I thought it would be a ton of fun for us if they got a postcard from runners in other states. I put together a board and called it “Running the USA” to hang our postcards on. I would LOVE to be able to get one from each state!!! You don’t have to put tons of information on it…just say hi and maybe something about yourself or why you like running. Both of my girls run and they really enjoy races!

104_8133 104_8134
104_8140 race1

This is the race Matt and I are doing again in October!!!!

Anyways…..if you would be interested in doing this, just contact me (jensrunning26@gmail.com) and I will give you our address (you don’t have to put a return address or anything on it). I will keep you updated with pictures as we fill our “Running the USA ” board!

DSC_0046The before picture!!!

Next topic…..recovery!!! Yesterday I had my 1st 18 mile run and I was pretty happy with it. Today is a recovery day. I did 6 miles at a 9:05 pace. I want to make sure that I am taking my recovery runs just as seriously as I am taking my speed or long runs. Sometimes when I go by feeling, I go too fast for a recovery run. When I do this then my speed or long run paces usually aren’t what they should be and I get really worn down.

Some tips for recovery:

1. Make sure to take a recovery day or two

2. Make sure the pace is where it should be

3. Hydrate!!!

4. Get protein and simple sugars.Β  My favorite post run drink= chocolate milk!!!! I try to get it in me with-in 30 minutes after my run.

5. Stretch!!!! I am a fan of dynamic stretches and the foam roller!!! I will do leg swings, skips, butt kicks, toe raises

6. I am a personal fan of compression socks

Those are just some quick tips that come to my mind. I do know that taking proper steps in recovery is essential! If not you will more than likely get injured. (which is NO fun at all).

DSC_0024 If you do not have a Ninja…get one!!! Unless you have a Vitamix and then I am officially very jealous!!!

πŸ™‚

After 18 miles yesterday…I felt a milkshake was in order! I added protein powder and chia seeds to it so it was healthy πŸ™‚ (maybe not…but healthier!)

Β YUM!!!

What state do you live in? Will you send us a postcard?!?!

What do you do for recovery?

Milkshakes…chocolate or vanilla :)?- not even a contest for me…chocolate!

Comments

1. Amber says

I love the postcard idea, and would love to send one! Do you want all the cards by a certain date?

Chocolate wins by far!

Hey Amber… thanks!!! For the postcard whenever you get a chance. I will put them on our board as I get them and post updates on my blog! I will email you my address… Thanks again!!!!

2. Molly says

I just found your blog and was delighted to learn that you are from Iowa! I just moved from Des Moines up to North Dakota this summer.

I’m finishing up a post-run smoothie right now. Chocolate, of course! I love my Ninja, but you have to be careful…I sliced my hand on it landed me in the urgent care clinic last week!

Oh man! I hope your hand is okay!!!! That is kinda dangerous…maybe we should both just Vitamixes and use that as an excuse πŸ™‚
      I go up to Des Moines to do shopping every so often and my husband does some lobbying at the capital! I also did and am going to do again the Des Moines Leprachan Chase in March! Too bad you moved…but you should send us a postcard! I don’t have anyone from North Dakota yet!

3. Molly says

It’s much better now! It bled quite a bit, but the doctor was able to glue it shut. I kept it wrapped and dry for a week, and it’s back to normal now. I hope for better weather for the Leprechaun Chase this year – March was brutal in Des Moines this year! I graduated from pharmacy school at Drake this spring, but I spent long enough there (7 years) that Des Moines is a second home to me. I’d love to send a postcard. I’ll check the gift shop at my hospital tomorrow and see if they have any.

4. Sharon says

I just found out about your blog from OlivetoRun. I don’t have a blog but would be happy to send you a postcard from Pennsylvania if you still need one from there!

Thanks!!!! We are super excited!!! Cori is super awesome for helping me get the word out!!! We would love a postcard from AZ!!!! My address is 1009 Lakeshore Dr Osceola IA 50213! Thanks so much!!!

Found you from OlivetoRun! What a fun learning idea. I may just have to do this in a few years when my girls are ready to learn states and capitals!

I’m in NH and would be happy to send your girls a postcard, although I can’t make any promises on how quickly it will get sent out because I am horrible about mailing out anything!

6. Kelli says

Hi I found your blog from OlivetoRun. This is such a cool idea! I live in Boise, ID and if you would like a postcard from here I would be more than happy to send you one!! πŸ™‚