Be careful what you wish for!

I remember saying about a week ago how much I wanted to be tapering because I was tired……I didn’t mean it!!!! I take it back! I want to run!!!

I mentioned in my post on Tues how my speedwork went and that I felt something off in my cool down causing me to walk some of it. Well…that something is not completely gone.

I took yesterday off…which was not easy for me! I hate taking unplanned days off!!!

injury1I kinda just knew I had to take the day off though otherwise it would just get worse!!! It is an injury I cannot seem to figure out by googling it though…so if you have any insight please let me know!  It is behind my knee…not my kneecap area like runners knee, but the back of my knee. Yesterday it hurt to do side lunges, go up or down stairs and straighten/stretch out.

injury2  (I am trying not to do this 🙂 )

Today it feels a lot better….but not gone. I wanted to run sooo bad! It is funny how bad you want to run when you can’t! I have been doing some knee stretches and strengthening exercises.

I also went to the track to do some drills. It doesn’t hurt to walk or do stairs or do some of the drills….I do feel it though when I run backwards and do butt kicks. I also feel it when I start to run. I did a 1/2 mile around the track slow just to see if I would feel it. It doesn’t hurt bad, but I also don’t want to push it and get seriously injured! And yes…..shortly after I left the track it started pouring!

IMG_0041           IMG_0040

I think I am going to ice it tonight and go for 5 or 6 easy miles tomorrow.

If you have any thoughts or stretches that might help send them my way!!!!!!

Then I read this from my favorite runner Kara Goucher about her decision to pull out of the New York City Marathon :(.

Kara’s news

Reading this just made me sad for her! She is such an inspiration and I wish her all the best and a super speedy recovery!!!

I took a picture of me and Courtney the other day at soccer practice :). This weather is crazy here! It was so hot and then the other day it was freezing and today 90 again!

IMG_0039

Anyone have an injury? Does it make you as crazy as it makes me?

Comments

If it is behind the knee, do you think maybe you hyperextended it with your speed workout? Maybe overstride? I did this over the summer, and I took a few days off. It felt like an instability behind my knee. I have other issues with my left knee (jumpers knee). But that discomfort is more lateral and below the knee.

Don’t be afraid to to go to a sports med PT. I want to see you KILL your marathon! 🙂 Praying for you!

2. Brooke says

Struggling with runners knee, which forced me to sit out 2 half marathons and now my favorite fall half – IMT Des Moines! Soo bummed. Hope you heal quickly!

You live in Des Moines!!!!! I am in Osceola! Runners knee totally stinks! I had it about 3 years ago. I did a post earlier with a link to some great drills that totally got me through it! (It is 80’s corny…but they worked). So sorry about missing your 1/2!

• Brooke says

I’m actually in northeast Iowa but some friends and I have been running it for the last 3 (would be 4) years! I will find that post!

• Brooke says

I’m actually in northeast Iowa but have been running that race with some friends for the past 3 (would be 4) years. I’ll check the post out!

I know it’s tough to take unplanned rest days, but it’s better than pushing through and hurting yourself more! Just remember that even a few easy or off days will not impact your overall fitness at this point. Hope you’re feeling better tomorrow!!

Ugh! I hate them…but I am proud of myself for taking them! I have made the mistake before of trying to push through it and making it worse 🙂
      Thanks!

4. Rebekah says

Hi there…just recently stumbled across your blog and LOVE it! I too am running KC but just the half. Haven made it to the full distance yet.

But anyhow, I’m actually a certified athletic trainer (sports medicine…not personal trainer) and I have a couple of ideas about your knee. The gastrocnemius (main calf muscle) actually attaches to the femur right in the back of the knee. If you were doing speed drills right before you felt the symptoms come on, it’s very likely that you slightly strained the tendinous attachment of that muscle. Speed work requires you stay up on your toes a lot more than normal running and thus, your calves are activated more. Dont be alarmed though…I’ve counseled literally thousands of athletes through injuries during important times in their seasons and what’s most important is that you ice, take a few easy days and DON’T over stretch it. Going fo a run isn’t probably going to make it “worse”…it just might take. Little longer to feel 100%. Hope that helps!

AH!!! I am so excited!!! You are doing the KC 1/2!!! That is awesome…and you know something about injuries…doublely awesome!!!
      Thank you SO much!!! I am not cerified or anything but have read tons of books and articles ect. I just couldn’t seem to find this strange pain I am having :). I did see tendonitis as being a pain from behind the knee to the calf muscle so that was on my radar but I wasn’t sure of that was what it was. There was a spot towards the top of that calf muscle that was really tight and seemd to have a knot in it, but that felt a lot better yesterday so I wasn’t sure if that was it or not. I took Wed off totally and pretty much today too…I really don’t think that affected my fitness at all…I just don’t like doing it :).
      I am so excited you are doing the 1/2! We will have to try to meet up…even at the expo or something!!!!
      Thanks again…how is your training going?!

• Rebekah says

Hey there! Sorry I haven’t responded until now…busy day at work. First, I saw you had a great pain free run today! YAY! See?? A little rest to calm it down and you’re good to go! 🙂 If something pops up though, feel free to bounce it off of me.

As for my training, it’s been going pretty well. This will be my 4th half, and this time around I kept my mileage high and trained hard so I feel more ready for this one than the others. (July-mid August sorta sucked though..haha!) I would love to meet up at the expo or whenever! 🙂

Hey! I totally think it had to do with my calf!!! I did another speed on Monday and it is a little sore. My foam roller and ice pack have been my friend lately :). It isn’t too bad…I just notice it and it is a little sore. I will totally keep in touch and we can meet up! I am glad your training is going well!!!

5. Brynne says

Just be careful! You don’t want to sacrifice all of your awesome hard work for just one extra day of training. One more day off would probably be more beneficial than harmful. Hope it fixes itself with icing and rest!
    There’s something going on with my left knee as well, it sounds kind of similar to what you’re describing. It almost feels like a weird pressure behind my knee, and sometimes it’ll get a little wobbly… It kind of comes and goes though…

I had peroneal tendonitis back in March and I couldn’t believe how anxious I was to get back to running. I was in a walking boot and still wanted to complete my half marathon (I compromised with the 5K associated with the event). But, the injury was a learning experience for me, and in the end, I think it will make me a better runner. Hopefully you have a speedy recovery!

isn’t it interesting how bad things only happen to runners during taper? last mary i tapered for, chicago 2011, i felt so entirely broken and things just started to unravel. interesting how i never had any of the issues before the taper…

but keep positive! and keep doing all that maintenance stuff! and my heart breaks for kara too, but that girl and the load she has it’s bound to happen. we all have our limits, elites or not!