Here is how this week started…..
Yup…rain!!! The chance of rain in the morning was 30% and it went up to 80% by lunch time and stayed there the rest of the day. So morning run it was and it was raining from the start!
It gave me a chance to wear this awesome rain jacket though and I loved it!!!! I have had it for awhile but never worn it running (it doesn’t rain ALL day very often and I usually look for the times that it won’t be raining to go for a run). The hat was great for keeping the rain out of my eyes 🙂 too!
Last week was my last week of training before my taper this week for the half marathon on Sat and it was not even close to what I was planning. I had planned on one speed workout and one good long tempo run…I did neither and my miles were cut back.
I have been having a little bit of hip/knee pain that changed my plans. It is what I like to call a borderline injury. Meaning a small injury that can either turn into a full out injury or go away depending on how I handle it. While I really wanted to get these two solid workouts in before my half…I wanted to be able to run my half more! I knew that doing these workouts could build my confidence going into this race and give me a better idea of what to shoot for, but it could also make the pain I was having way worse.
So…I took an extra rest day and have been very careful with my runs. I also have spent a good bit of time stretching and doing hip strengthening exercises.
3 great hip stretches I did were:
1. leg swings…side to side and front to back 15 on each leg
3. A lunge stretch: Stand with your feet together. Step forward with your right leg and extend your left leg behind you, lower your left knee to the ground. Keep your front knee directly above your ankle. You will feel the stretch in your left hip flexor. Hold for 30 seconds. Repeat with the other leg.
3 strength exercises I did:
1. Cone hops. I basically hopped from side to side off of my outside leg going forward a little bit at a time. I put cones out but you wouldn’t need to
2. Skips. I skipped touching my fingers under my thighs as that leg was up.
3. Ran backwards….it helps :)…good to do for 100’s on a track.
I really feel like this has helped me a ton! I am a little unsure of exactly where my fitness is for this half….but I am excited to be running it injury free and I will give it all I got :)!
Lastly…just had to add this because I love it!!!! Very inspiring!!!
Did she actually say dessert once a week…..that would take some adjusting to for me :)!
Rain…do you love it, hate it or whatever :)?
Dessert once a week…would that affect you?
I am looking for a good base layer running top similiar to Lululemon’s run swiftly top but one that doesn’t snag if I look at it funny!!! :)…any suggestions….