What would you attempt if you knew you could not fail?

succes4

Happy Friday!!!!! I feel like I have so many exciting things going on that I don’t know where to start!

Let’s start with running….today is Friday which means speed day for me! I had a few things I wanted to achieve today

1. jog in between my mile repeats

2. negative split my repeats.

I got 1 out of the 2 :)….. I did jog in between all of my repeats. It definitely made it harder to not have my walk break!!!!

For my speed work I did a 2.5 mile warm up and then 5 mile repeats with a quarter mile jog in between (I would guess it was about an 8:30 pace). My repeats were: 6:51, 6:36, 6:43, 6:36, 6:37. Not the negative split I was going for….but maybe next time. I then did a 2.5 mile cool down for 11 miles total. Then I came home, used my wonderfully painful grid foam roller and put my legs up against the wall and basically could have taken a nap there (I didn’t though…WAY too much to do!)    🙂

I am pretty excited about the races I have coming up and my kids are signed up for their first 5k!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is going top be so fun. My husband and I are both signed up for THE BIRD IN HAND HALF MARATHON and the girls are doing the 5k. They are having balloon launches before the races and it just looks like it is going to be a lot of fun!

bihI have some pretty big goals for my upcoming races. I think it is important to have goals. It doesn’t have to be a hard to reach goal. Some people like setting really tough goals, others like setting small goals since they are motivated by seeing achievements made. Either way, setting goals helps keep us moving forward and improving. I usually try to set several goals and I remember that the process of the reaching your goals is more important than actually reaching the goal. If I don’t reach my goal, I don’t see that as a failure. I look at what I learned from the process, readjust and keep working towards achieving that goal or I modify the goal a little. I really just loved this quote:……

success5

For my upcoming races I am working towards breaking 1:30 in the half and 3:20 in the full. My next half is May 31st and I am super excited about it!!! Then I have the Bird-in-Hand half in Sept and in November my husband and I are both doing the Richmond Marathon!

success 3

It is so easy to be nervous to set goals, or to start something new because the fear of failure sets in…..but what if we forget that failure is even possible and just went for it!!! What if achieving the “goal” was not as important as the lessons learned and the growth that occurred through the process!!!

Do you have any goals that you are working towards?

Does it make you nervous?

Comments

Thanks!!! That is exactly what I was going for when setting my goals. They are I believe within my realm of capability…but will be hard. If I race and I don’t get them, that is OK…I will try again…but I love challenging myself!…

Wow speedy! Awesome run there! I love setting goals for myself too. Right now my big goal is to finally knock a marathon out. My marathon got cancelled last year and then my replacement race was a huge disaster. Good luck in all your goals!

Thanks. You are totally going to get that marathon!!!! Replacement races are hard and I can’t imagine having a marathon I trained for cancelled. I would love to hear when you pick a marathon and how it is going as you train!!!! Good luck!

Oh Dawn!….Try not to think of it as letting yourself down!!! Look at all the effort that you put into the training (or whatever the goal may be) and be proud of it! I sometimes get nervous for my speed runs or I pretty much always get nervous (actually anxious) for my races…but I know that whatever the outcome is, it is ok. Some days are just not “on” days and that is ok. On those days it is important to be proud of the fact that you got out there anyways! 🙂

Thanks!..these were actually on the track. I did last weeks speed on the road, but this week especially since I was doing jog recovery I just went to the track. For some reason I just can’t quite seem to get the negative split right. Today wasn’t as positive as it usually is so that helped…the first mile was actually faster and I really slowed the last 1/2 lap down so it wouldn’t be too fast :/…and for my last mile split I didn’t look at my watch till the last lap and it was 6:49 so I kicked into high gear!…not really how I wanted to do that..but that happens. 🙂

Love that car quote, Jen!! I don’t think I’ve heard it before, but it really resonated with me!! My big goal for the summer is to PR my 5K time, so we’ll see what happens!!

I really loved it too! It makes so much sense :)! A 5k PR is a great goal…you totally got this!!!!!