Never be embarrassed by your pace!!!!!

This post came to me this week after hearing 2 different people tell me that they were embarrassed by their pace. One from a super sweet, super awesome running blogger friend of mine and the other from a lady at the conference that I attended. At the conference I had the opportunityΒ  to do a little interview with one of the speakers during her session. She was talking about healthy ways we can relieve stress and clear our minds and she knows that I run. She wanted to get across some of the many benefits of exercise and learn a little more about running. After the session a lady came up to me and we talked a bit more. She started out by telling me that she was embarrassed by how slow she goes.

I just have 2 things say:

1. NEVER be embarrassed by your pace!!!!!

pace

2. Remember that comparison is the thief of joy

joy1

I am even talking to myself when I say this. I have had days…even a few weeks at a time where I just could not get into it and my paces were just off of what they had been or where my legs felt like they weighed a million pounds. I have looked at someone else’s paces or mileage and compared….it can be easy to do. Then you start thinking that for whatever reason what you are doing is now embarrassing….but that is such wrong thinking. We need to get control of those thoughts and think about the truth. We are all at different places in life with different goals. We are not all professional runners, but we are not all beginners either. So be proud of where you are at and what you are doing and keep at it!!!

step2

Now of course we will all have those days when we know that we could have done better but for whatever reason we don’t. Maybe you are tired or it is that time of the month πŸ™‚ or it is just an off day….we ALL have those days. Running is made up of good runs and bad runs. One day may feel effortless and the next may feel like it is all you can do to get one foot in front of the other…it is just what running is all about. What is so great about those hard days is that they make the great ones seem that much greater!!! Even on the hard days though, never be embarrassed by your time. It may not be as fast as you want or as another runner, BUT you did it when it was hard! Sometimes it is just our body telling us “I need a break and I am taking it whether you give it to me or not”.

The point of this all is just to say that sometimes we just need to give ourselves a break. Look at where we are at and how far we have come and take it one step at a time :).

step

Remember why you love running!

Speaking of loving running…I really love running today!

I had an awesome speed work day today!

My workout went like this:

2.5 mile warm up (8:15 pace)

4 x 1 mile on the roads with 1/4 mile walk in between.

Mile 1: 6:24

Mile 2: 6:25

Mile 3: 6:22…..At this point I am thinking there is NO way mile 4 will be faster than this but I am going to give it a try and not look at my watch until I am done!

Mile 4: 6:12!!!!!! This is not only a positive split (which I hardly ever do), but it is also the fastest mile that I have done on the track or road since high school I think!

2.5 mile cool down 8:10 pace

I am really pretty excited about that last mile!!!

So……

today1

Do you ever find yourself comparing or feeling embarrassed by your times?

What are some ways you stay motivated on the hard days?

Comments

I couldn’t agree more!! We’re all out there doing our best and should be having fun.
    HOLY WOW that last mile. You GOOOOOOO!!!!

I just felt so bad when she told me she was embarrassed by her pace…I told her how awesome she was for getting out there and doing anything and to be proud of everything that she accomplishes!!!!
      I know right!!!! I was slightly in shock! I was pushing, but I really didn’t think I had that in me….especially as my last repeat! Gotta love the days when it all comes together!

Everybody is different and i just think it is so important to realize that and give ourselves a break :). Just enjoy the ups and downs of running and be proud of what you accomplish :). I think it helps to have someone say that to remind us!
      Thanks…that is the fastest mile I have run in forever….and I am feeling now too :)…my legs weighed approximately 200 pounds each today πŸ™‚

I’m always embarrassed by my times. I never tell them, that’s how embarrassing it is. I should be more proud that I finished – period. Enough said πŸ™‚

I do too…it is so funny, I can be so critical of myself but when I hear someone else be critical of themselves I feel so bad for them and just want to encourage them!!! πŸ™‚ It is just always nice to get that reminder that in running and in life we just need to do the best we can,know that it’s enough and be thankful for all that we have and are able to do!~

Such an important message! And wow, Jen- so speedy! You should definitely be excited about those mile splits! I’m excited to get out there again but not quite ready yet… it will come. Are you doing the fall half in Lancaster?

Your little Julia is so very sweet!!! Enjoy this time with her :). Yes I am doing the half in Lancaster on Sept 6th!!! Will you be there?

4. Karen says

There are definitely certain places/contexts where I am embarrassed by my times. I know they reflect my relative state of fitness and return to running, so 98% of the time I’m actually quite happy to be running. But once in a while I cringe when how I *feel* overpowers the logic.

Congrats on killer paces lady! You are right, never be embarrassed by paces or times. Whats matters is that you get out there and do your thing, unapologietically! Everyone has to start somewhere, and in the end it is all about personal improvement.

Awesome splits! I love that you went by feel on your last mile and killed it! woo hoo!!! Pace comparison is so difficult. I never think anyone slower than me is ‘slow’, I just think they are doing their best pace and running and racing and enjoying it, same as me. But when it comes to someone faster than me? Catch me at a weak moment and I’m all, “What’s wrong with me? Why am I so slow? What am I doing wrong? What is she doing right?”

Thank you! And you are so right, I am the same way! I can think of a few amazing people specifically that if you catch me at the right moment I wonder the same things that you do….I just have to snap myself back into what really matters :). More important to me than my pace and pr’s is just getting to know and encourage others in their running journey :).

I had a mini meltdown during my run yesterday due to my pace! I’m a relatively new-ish runner and completed my first had back in April with a steady 12min/mile pace… Now I’m struggling to keep that pace for 2-3 miles. It’s so frustrating because I feel like I’m back to square one!! I think a lot of it is the humidity (or at least that’s what I’m telling myself). Either way, I really needed to read a post like this today, so thanks πŸ™‚

Oh Caroline! I am so sorry!!! It happens to us all :). It can be one of the most frustrating and confusing things about running….but keep at it! You are really not back at square one, it just might feel like for a little while, but then BAM you will have a breakthrough. Trust me it happens to me all the time! I will be doing great and then all of a sudden I have a string of bad runs or runs where I just feel like it so hard and then the break though! Those awesome runs after having hard runs feel amazing too….not only because you did them, but you pushed through the hard ones and stuck it out!!! It is one of those 2 steps forward one step back type of things. It can be frustrating, but you are doing awesome just getting out there and doing something so WAY TO GO!!!!!

• says

Thanks Jen… What I REALLY need to do is stop staying up watching Grey’s Anatomy reruns and wake up early to knock my run out before it gets too hot! Glad I’m not the only one who struggles with this πŸ™‚