Oh Happy Day!

Happy Monday!!!!!!!

monday3

It is Monday again and I am feeling ready to take on the week! This is going to be a great week. It is the week before Easter, we have birthdays coming up, fun things planned, warmer weather, a race on Saturday….I am feeling so blessed!

monday2

Last week was a busy one!

My husband had an event he attended in DC all day Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. This meant some pretty early mornings and late nights. Thursdays my girls do a volleyball camp. Friday my husband, oldest daughter, and her friend were part of a team that played for a charity basketball tournament called midnight madness (yes, they played till midnight). I brought my youngest daughter and her friend to watch :).

As far as training goes last week, I decided to do 1 speed day, 1 long run day, and the rest easier miles. The week before I did 3 stress workouts and I have a half marathon this weekend, so I wanted last week to be a little easier.

Monday- 8.3 miles @ 8:18 pace

Tuesday- 7.5 miles @ 8:04 pace

Wednesday- 8.3 miles @7:48 pace

Thurs- Speed: 1 mile warm up, 5 x 800 around 6:20 (3:10) pace 800 around 7:20 (3:40) pace and no rest in between, 2 mile cool down. My splits were (3:04, 3:34), (3:13, 3:28), (3:11, 3:30), (3:02, 3:43), (3:02, 3:31). I didn’t stop to walk at….but I did stop after mile 3 and 4 for about 5 seconds to regroup :).

Friday- 8.3 miles @7:56

Sat- Long run. 9.5 miles. 3 miles easing into it, 3 miles @ faster than half marathon pace (around 6:50), 3.5 easier. My splits: (7:46, 7:44, 7:25), (6:47, 6:39, 6:34) 7:55 for last 3.5. The part that thrills me about this run is the negative splits!!!! I also did this run in my new Pro Compression socks from the Heather Collection….I LOVE them!!!

Saturday is one of those days I would have loved for a coach to just tell me what to run.

My girls had sleepovers and so my run got pushed back till later in the afternoon. I literally did not decide what I was doing until right before I ran. I had a long run planned, but I didn’t want to go too long with my 1/2 this weekend and I also wanted to get a few 1/2 MP miles in there.

My girls have been training for their kids marathon coming up next Friday too!!!

How was your week?

How is your training going?

What is your favorite speed workout?

Comments

All good things! I cannot wait to hear how amazing your race is this weekend and I’ll be stalking you on social media 🙂 I have an “easy” 20 this weekend and I plan on running with a friend, so I’m looking forward to it!

Yay Jen!!
    That was a killer workout! 800s with no rest in between and with those early 3 min. splits?
    That is just beastly! 🙂
    You are going to do so well in the race this weekend!!

My favorite speed workout is also the 800s on the track. I always feel sooo strong and ready for a race after a cycle of those. I also like mile repeats on the roads.

Happy Monday!! Happy almost Easter!

Thanks!!!! I recover quickly when I walk so I need to practice not having that walk break :). I know there is a big hill at mile 10.5 of this half that has me a little nervous though.

Great runs this week! I’ve been using a coach for Paris and believe it or not he did NOT have me do any speed work at all. I did tempo runs, but no repeats the entire training. I thought that was interesting especially since I’m looking for a 30 minute PR!

Thanks and yes I believe it! Actually I have thrown around the idea of not doing speed work for my next marathon training cycle!

Love that speed workout! I did a similar one with 400’s last Spring and really enjoyed it. It’s different from standard rest intervals, but much more satisfying afterwards I think 🙂
    Negative splits are awesome – great job on your long run! I think negative splits make me the happiest and feeling like I really nailed a workout. Even if my pacing was slightly too fast or slow, if I got negative splits, I’m satisfied.
    Also, love the heather gray socks – I snagged a pair for myself as well 😀

I feel the same way about negative splits…such a confidence booster. Now to remind myself how good that feels in a race so I don’t take off like a bandit!
      LOVE the heather socks…especially the gray!