19:48!!!!!!!!!!! & Boston Monday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

boston11Happy Boston Monday!!!!!!!

boston12

I read somewhere that the Boston Marathon is like the Superbowl for runners and I 120% agree!!!! My only complaint is they need better coverage. I would love to see them get a few more cameras out there so we can see several of the front packs. I personally go back and forth about running Boston. When I think about the crowds, and the long wait to start the race, and the expense then I am not so sure about it. But when this weekend comes and I see all the pictures and the excitement then I totally want to do it! I am tracking 7 runners so I will pretty much be getting updates all morning :). Unfortunately, I don’t get Universal Sports, so I will be relying on the Boston website for coverage.

boston14

Can you believe that the first Boston Marathon was 24.5 miles, was called the American Marathon, and was run by only 15 men!

Good Luck to all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

boston13

My weekend was awesome!!!! Friday night I took the girls to a high school production of Mary Poppins. High school plays have come a LONG way from when I was in high school. It was AMAZING!!!!! I have seen the Broadway show twice in Chicago and I love it, so I honestly wasn’t expecting much from the high school version. I was wrong, we loved it!!!! IMG_0654[1]

Saturday was my 5k and I DID IT!!!!!!!! I broke 20, which is my 5k goal!!!

19:45 for the Bolt for Bolt 5k in Littlestown, PA. I was SO excited!!! My goal was to break 20 in the 5k, but I was not training for any specific 5k race. I planned to just add them into my half marathon training when I could find one close.

I found this race and saw that last year a female ran it in 19:55…perfect. I was hoping she would run again this year and I could let her pace me. Well, she didn’t run this year. I don’t really have a strategy for the 5k. Being more of a distance runner, my thought was to run fast and hang on.

So here is what is was:

Mile 1: 6:13

Mile 2: 6:32

Mile 3: 6:30

19:48 officially. the clock said 19:45 when I went through, but officially it says 19:48 and so does my watch, so we’ll go with that. It was not a chip timed race. I was 1st female, 8th overall. There were a few speedy runners in this race. The 2nd male finished in 16:23 and he is 49 and the 5th place male finished in 18:57 and he is 15.

DSC_0587             DSC_0585                 DSC_0597

After that my husband and I took our girls to a park with a trail around it and we did 6 easy miles. It was such a beautiful day!!!

Then Sunday we had church and my daughter had her 2nd violin recital. She did great!!!!!

So that was my amazing weekend…

How was your weekend?

Who is watching Boston with me?

Is Boston a race that you really want to run or not really?

Comments

I literally starting jumping up and down and cheering when I read your FB post about breaking 20, winning and breaking the course record!!!!! I’m so happy for you and so proud of you. You work so, so hard and it must feel incredible to see all that work pay off!! CONGRATS!!

Also just watched the women finish Boston and I was crying! I was hoping (of course) for an American to win but, no matter what, these women are absolutely amazing. Good luck to all your friends running!! I’m tracking several myself….

Thanks Allie!!!! :). I was pretty excited…now time to make a new goal :)!
      I totally teared up too!!!!! I LOVE watching the Boston Marathon. Definitely AMAZING woman and runners!!!! I can’t imagine having to kick like that at the end of 26 miles!

AWESOME job with the 5k. I would like to train for one for speed sometime, as I know my faster times (for me 🙂 ) are quickly fading (I am 43–for one more week!). How did you like the distance?
    I qualified for Boston next year so I was SUPER excited to watch it. I live in NH, so we had 12 hour coverage–LOVE IT! I am nervous about the size of the race etc. But I figure I will run it for the experience of running Boston, not a PR.
    I wish they televised more races, they are SO inspiring!

Thanks Cheryl!!!!! Happy early birthday too :)!
      The 5k is a hard distance, especially since I consider myself more of a distance runner…but fun. It seems to go by so fast. My strategy is pretty much run fast and hang on! Mile two seems to be really hard for me after a fast mile one. I kept reminding myself to keep pushing hard.
      I qualified for next year too with my November Richmond Marathon. I LOVED watching it (except I got nothing else done). I would have loved to have it on tv! I had to settle for the Boston website…but it was pretty good. They definitely should televise more races!

Thanks!!!! Your Paris trip was pretty cool too!!!!! It is fun being a home school mom on Boston Marathon day :)…I was able to watch, let my kids watch some and teach 🙂

3. Claire says

I have run 10 marathons from a small one in Ohio (about 250 people) to Marine Corps (about 30,000 people). For me, the best size is about 2,000 to 5,000 runners. After finishing a couple of huge marathons, I don’t really ever want to go back to one. The logistics are just kind of a nightmare. The one exception is Boston!! I ran that in 2012 and it was a truly amazing experience. I went as a qualified runner, and my opinion is that if you qualify, it is worth it to go. Yes, it is about 3x as expensive as a normal weekend in Boston, but it really was one of the best experiences of my life. Their tagline of “Boston is all in!” is so true. It’s a holiday there, so the whole of Beantown is there to celebrate with the marathoners. The long wait in the morning is really not that bad. The marathon has a late start which means you don’t have to be up s-u-u-upper early and you meet so many people from all over the world that all have great stories of how they qualified and made it to Boston. I would say that it is worth the investment!! I hope to get back there in the next couple of years. BTW, great job on your 5K!!

You sound EXACTLY like me…sort of!!!! I have run a small trail marathon in IL (Des Plaines River Trail Marathon), but I have never run a huge one. I really have no desire whatsoever to run a huge one… EXCEPT Boston :). I also was no fan of the small one. Being by myself from mile 21-26 on a trail in the woods was just not motivating! The logistics of weaving through a million people to get to the start seems like a nightmare…unless it is at Boston. My cousin actually lives fairly close to the start too so that is nice! I love the later start (I am not great at 5am), and meeting so many awesome people sounds like such fun! Watching it and seeing everyone’s pictures really makes me want to do it! The expo looks amazing too!!!!!

• Claire says

I, too, am a homeschooling mama who takes off for Patriot’s Day and the Boston Marathon. 🙂 My kids are all really into it, too!

Wow–that’s a killer time! Congrats to you! And you didn’t just break it, you went well under. Awesome.

I saw Mary Poppins on Broadway, too, and loved it. And yes, high school plays are mind blowing these days. We have 12 high schools in our district and my son will be in h.s. next year, so we hit several of the shows every year–so impressive!

Thanks!!! It was a 52 second PR for me :). I LOVED Mary Poppins….and this was really good. It was Century High School. I will definitely be going to more high school plays 🙂

Congrats Jen on your 5k PR!!! That is so fantastic and all your hard work really paid off and you broke the course record – sweet!! 🙂
    I was glued to my computer also on Monday (we don’t get Universal either) and I was so excited to watch every moment. It really felt like a holiday!
    I am so excited to run it next year and just soak it all in.
    I think it is so awesome that you homeschool your girls!! 🙂

Congrats on breaking 20 minutes – that is so amazing! My goal for a LONG time was to break 21, which I just barely squeaked out last spring. I think the 5k is my least favorite race distance, but at least the agony of running almost all out is over quickly. 😉

Thanks!!!!! 5k is a rough race for sure! 3 miles is a long time to hold fast!!! I am pretty much a long distance gal myself :). I have only done 1 10k, so I am not sure which I would like better.