Let the Marathon Training begin!!! Day 1 & 2 .

Let the marathon training begin! Yesterday was officially day 1 of my 18 week marathon training plan.

extra

We will see how this works :). In the past I have done variations of Hal Higdon and Hansons training programs. I have also written my own based off of the idea of 1 tempo day, 1 speed day, 1 long run, 1 rest day, and the other 3 easy runs per week. All of my plans have been very flexible. If I didn’t feel like doing speed on a day I would just switch it.

This training cycle I am following a plan from the book Advanced Marathoning by Pete Pfitzinger and Scott Douglas. I am doing the 18 week 55-70 miles per week schedule. I am going to tweak it a little though so that my highest weeks are in the low 60’s not 70.

As much as I can I am going to try to stick with what it says on the schedule. I do have a camp coming up that my husband and I are counselors at in IL and another family camp in WI in August that we are going to.Β  I am SUPER excited about both of these weeks, but they are going to be busy! Those weeks I might need to do some schedule changes, especially with the travel, but that is how life is.

I went back and forth on trying this plan. I wanted to try something scheduled and new, but my last training cycle went so good and led to an 11 minute marathon PR.

I am going to give it a try though and see how it goes.

extra2

Right off I noticed a few things different from anything I have done.

1. They incorporate short speed (100’s)

2. They have a longer run (like 11 miles) during the week, but also a shorter run (like 4 or 5 miles). In the past I pretty much do 7 or 8 miles as much easy runs. I think it will be good for me to add some longer days, but then also some short days.

So day 1 on the schedule was 9 miles with 4 miles @ half marathon pace. Way to start off with a bang!

Day 1:

2.5 mile warm up 7:42 pace, 4 miles @ half marathon (although this is faster than my half marathon) (6:43, 6:46, 6:35, 6:49), then 2.5 cool down 8:04.

Day 2:

11 miles at what they call medium pace. 11 @ 8:08 pace. My legs were tired and I was done by the end. I am not used to running that distance during the week and it was after a harder day.

The rest of the week looks like this:

Wed- 5 miles recovery

Thurs- 9 miles fairly easy pace

Fri- 5 recovery miles

Sat- 15 mile long run

I am taking my training week by week. Looking at the schedule too far ahead can seem overwhelming! I am just going to give it a try and see how my body responds. If it is too much I will just go back to my old training schedule that I used last year :).

My husband did a crazy hard run today as part of his training….2, 470 ft elevation gain over 12.5 miles!!!!!

This is what that looks like:

What is your goal fall race? Are you following a plan?

How is your training going?

Comments

So speedy and high mileage-you’re going to kill it! I had trouble figuring out what to tweak with my training since I too had a good training cycle last year. It’s so tricky! I’ve been incorparating a slightly longer easy run around 7 miles instead of 5 and trying to add more easy, no pace miles.

We’ll see how this goes :). I don’t want to fix it if it isn’t broke…but trying something different can bring improvements too. Might as well give it a shot right πŸ™‚

My goal race is MCM. I’m using a coach and he only gives me my plan every few weeks which is a huge adjustment for me since I”m such a planner! I can’t imagine running 60-70 miles a week! I have never run that high mileage before! Good luck with training!

That is funny, I am totally opposite! I have to take it a week at a time or it seems overwhelming! I will most likely top out at 60…still high but anything over 60 and it gets to be too much for me!

3. Claire says

I’ll be reading to see how your training goes! I am about halfway done reading Advanced Marathoning. I plan to use it for my next marathon training next year. Right now, I am coming back from a stress fracture in my 3rd metatarsal, so I am using the rest of this year to just really build back up a strong, healthy base. What marathon are you training for?

Hey Claire! I am training for the Richmond VA marathon in November. I ran it last year and loved it! I really liked the Advanced Marathoning book. There are some different and new things than I have done in past training cycles so we’ll see how that goes :). It is always fun to try a new approach and see what works for you. Building a healthy base is really smart! That stress fracture sounds painful! Keep at it and you will be back stronger than ever!

I love the small world – Claire and I (reader above) were on the cross country team together in high school!!! She is so awesome.
    Your training sounds really exciting and I wish you lots of happy, fast miles! Looking forward to following along πŸ™‚

I’m also looking forward to following your training! I’ve heard a lot of great things about Pfitzinger/Douglas, so I’m excited to hear about some first-hand experiences. I can’t imagine running 60-70 mile weeks — hopefully one day! πŸ™‚

Thanks Natalie :). It is a pretty good book and the training really peaked my interest. I am super nervous about tomorrow’s run! It is the longest I have gone in a while with a chunk of marathon paced miles too. I am planning a re-cap of week 2 tomorrow!!!!!